Nothing beats the refreshing taste of homemade ice cream. This recipe is one that a sweet friend of mine shared with me a few years ago, and it’s been a family staple ever since! Whether you have an egg allergy (like me) or simply prefer an egg-free version, this recipe is perfect for satisfying your ice cream cravings.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, whisk together the heavy cream, whole milk, granulated sugar, and pure vanilla extract until the sugar is completely dissolved. Make sure the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Set the ice cream mixture in the fridge for 1 hour (or overnight) to cool.
- Once the mixture is ready, pour it into an ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific machine. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, don’t worry! You can still make ice cream using an alternative method explained below.
- If using an ice cream maker, churn the mixture according to the manufacturer’s instructions until it reaches a thick and creamy consistency. This usually takes around 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the churned ice cream to an airtight container, and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours or until firm. This will allow the ice cream to set and develop its classic texture.
Alternative Method (No Ice Cream Maker):
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow dish or a baking pan.
- Place the dish in the freezer and let it freeze for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the edges start to set.
- Remove the dish from the freezer and vigorously whisk the partially frozen mixture with a fork or hand mixer to break up any ice crystals.
- Return the dish to the freezer and repeat the whisking process every 30 minutes for about 2-3 hours, or until the ice cream reaches the desired consistency.
Once the ice cream has set, it’s ready to be enjoyed! Serve it in bowls, cones, or alongside your favorite desserts. You can also get creative by adding toppings like chocolate sauce, sprinkles, or fresh fruit.